Sunday, January 8, 2017

Privileged by Day and Night

As the semester comes to a close, the English lovers part with their losses of being in their favorite class every day. I am among those lovers as I’ve found English to be one of my favorite subjects. Being in the environment of reading and writing has made my first semester of sophomore year worthwhile. I wish to continue the path of absorbing every new novel I discover and reading on a daily basis. I would like to thank my English teacher for introducing me to a place where I can enjoy reading and not dread every book I pick up.

BEWARE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

We live in a world where we forget how lucky we are. To wake up without the fear of potential death of others or yourself. While reading Night by Elie Wiesel, I have recognized how privileged those who live in the United States truly are. The novel partakes in the time period of World War II, narrated by a Jew who suffers the daily life in concentration camp. Through days of deterioration of watching those of his kind perish around him, he loses a sense of him. While reading this, I have begun to envisage how truly lucky we are to live in a safe country. We don’t have to deal with war or being locked away in a prison-like structure for believing in one particular religion. We are all accepted regardless of what we believe in thanks to the first amendment. I truly cannot imagine what my grandmother went through as she lived while the war took place. Being in Germany during this time must have been difficult as my grandma watched some of her best friends be taken away due to their religion. One quote in particular provoked my thoughts as the narrator says “We had forgotten everything—death, fatigue, our natural needs” (Wiesel 48). They were going through such circumstances in which their own physical needs meant nothing. In a world we live in, the only thing that matters is our social media, social status, and how the world perceives us. We forget how lucky we are. Through my final blog post I would like to send out one message to my readers. As you go through your week, day by day, hour by hour, stop sometimes and think of how lucky you are. Believe how blessed you are to not have to worry about fighting for your life. Treat those around you with respect and hold yourself high with dignity as we live in a country where we all are accepted regardless of our religion, race, or beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. That so interesting to know that your Grandma was in Germany during this time. I can't even imagine what it would have been like for your Grandma. I really liked your overall message about how privileged we are to have the things we have and how we should more respectful to those around us.

    ReplyDelete